Manchester United have three concerns over the appointment of Erik Ten Hag, Newcastle’s chances of an ambitious deal for Neymar are fading, while Thursday’s transfer gossip claims the Red Devils are going all out for a Barcelona star.
ERIK TEN HAG CONCERNS FOR MAN UTD EMERGE
Manchester United have three concerns over the suitability of Erik Ten Hag, having held interviews with him this week.
The Ajax boss is emerging as the No 1 candidate to take over at Old Trafford this summer. Ralf Rangnick’s interim reign will end, with the German moving into a more senior advisory role. And with just main candidates in mind, it is Ten Hag who is emerging as the top pick.
Whoever steps in will be the fifth permanent manager United have appointed since Sir Alex Ferguson’s exit in 2013. And for obvious reasons, the club are determined to get this one right.
During the nine years that have passed since Sir Alex’s exit, the Red Devils have slipped a fair way below their rivals. Indeed, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea have all won more trophies than United in that period.
In the aftermath of Ten Hag’s interview this week, many outlets suggest he came across brilliantly. Presenting his ideas before United’s new CEO Richard Arnold, football director John Murtough, technical director Darren Fletcher and Rangnick, the four men are said to have liked Ten Hag’s vision.
However, the Daily Express claims United chiefs do have concerns over three areas of Ten Hag’s suitability.
First of all, they are worried that Ten Hag does is not a prominant enough character to handle the pressures of leading United.
Ten Hag was passed up by Tottenham
Secondly, Arnold is aware that United only want a top coach in charge. And he’s concerned how United fans will react if they move for a manager that Daniel Levy at Tottenham passed over last summer.
Ten Hag interviewed for the Spurs job last summer following Jose Mourinho’s sacking. Levy ultimately plunged for Nuno Espirito Santo, though soon changed his mind on him too.
And finally, they remain unsure if the Dutchman has it in his armoury to lift United back to the summit of English and European football.
The paper claims the uncertainty will see United interview other candidates ahead of a final decision. Furthermore, both Julen Lopetegui and Luis Enrique will likely face interviews too.
And despite denials, the club will keep a watching brief at Thomas Tuchel’s situation at Chelsea, despite recent denials.
NEYMAR TO NEWCASTLE RUMOURS SHOT DOWN
Talk that Newcastle could launch an ambitious summer approach for Neymar are seemingly not true.
The Ligue 1 giants will have another review both of their management, and playing staff at the end of the season.
With Mauricio Pochettino facing the axe following another Champions League failure, a new coach will likely come in.
Furthermore, the likes of Kylian Mbappe and Georgino Wijnaldum are reportedly likely to depart.
But the possibility has arisen that Neymar too could be on his way.
The Brazilian joined PSG in summer 2017 and, to this day, remains the world’s most expensive footballer at £198m.
However, he’s been linked with a move to Newcastle and their new-found wealth.
That said, the Daily Telegraph have dismissed the claims for two reasons.
Firstly, they are reportedly against the notion of signing him, taking into account the controversey and extra baggage he brings.
Secondly, the club are reportedly setting their summer transfer budget at a mere £90m. As such, the paper claims they don’t want to blow a large portion of that on Neymar.
That’s the end of that one then!
MAN UTD MAKE DOUBLE-YOUR-MONEY BID FOR RONALD ARAUJO
Manchester United are reportedly pushing strongly to land Ronald Araujo this summer.
The defender is in talks over a new deal at Barcelona, but so far is yet to reach an agreement.
Barca’s offer to the Uruguayan will see his salary increase – and will be one of befitting of his status in Xavi’s side.
However, gone are the days of giant wages at the Nou Camp.
As such, the Daily Mirror claims United are trying to lure him to Old Trafford with a huge financial package.
With Barca’s offer to him standing at £3.3m a year – £63,000 a week – United are willing to double that.
The paper claims they hope that will be enough for the no-nonsense defender to make the move.
And with a year left on his deal come the summer, United believe they could lure him away for a relatively-modest fee.
The paper states that the arrival of Araujo will put more doubt on the future of Harry Maguire.
A report earlier this week claimed Maguire’s time is up at United with another defender also being chased.